Saturday 18 July 2015

Braai bread (roosterbrood)

Today, we received an education in BBQ from our South African friend. He introduced us to excellent meat rubs and frankly superior BBQing skills with meat. 

But he also introduced us to braai bread (roosterbrood) which is a beer bread cooked on the BBQ. I was slightly skeptical but it is truly amazing. I don't think I will be able to have a BBQ again without it. Fortunately, it is very easy. 

I have a breadmaker, so most of the work is done for me. The picture below doesn't do them justice and most of them were eaten by the time I managed to get a picture taken!




Ingredients (makes 8-12 rolls)

500g strong white bread flour
10g instant yeast
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp olive oil
300ml beer
(plus extra flour for dusting)

Method

1. Sprinkle yeast over bottom of bread maker 
2. Measure flour over the top
3. Add salt, sugar, olive oil
4. Pour beer over the top
5. Use short dough setting on bread maker (I used the 45 minute setting for pizza dough)
6. Once complete, knead dough and leave in a bowl in a warm place with a tea towel over the top
7. Let prove for another 30 minutes or so
8. Pull or cut into rolls 
9. Cook for 5-10 minutes on BBQ, towards the side
10. Break apart while hot and eat with lots of butter



No comments:

Post a Comment